The Cappella dei Priori (Chapel of the Priors) also called Cappella della Signoria was built between 1511 and 1514 by Baccio d’Agnolo and its decoration was entrusted to Ridolfo del Ghirlandaio (Ridolfo Bigordi said il Ghirlandaio), son of the famous Domenico Ghirlandaio. The chapel is dedicated to St. Bernard and consists of two rooms with vaulted ceilings: the altar area and the chapel.
The walls and ceilings are decorated with frescoes with grotesques on a gold background with a sham mosaic. In time more are depicted the Trinity and the four Evangelists, in less time are portraits the dove of the Holy Spirit and the twelve Apostles.
On the two lunette to the walls are painted, on one the Apparition of the Virgin to Saint Bernardo, on the other the Annunciation, that it has the particularitity to represent a view of the city of Florence with the Chiesa dell’Annunziata and the Convent of San Marco. In the chapel an Altar Piece of 16th century it represents the Madonna with the Child and the Saints Giovannino and Elisabetta, it’s work of Friar Mariano da Pescia.
In this chapel the Priors prayed and asked for God’s help to be fair and just in their public decisions. In the chapel also were kept documents and objects of the Treasury of the Signoria, which are now kept in the Laurentian Library in Florence.
From the Capella dei Priori we reach the Sala dell’Udienza (Audience Hall).
The visit of the rooms on the second floor of the Monumental Quarters continues, now we visit the Sala dell’Udienza (Audience Hall or Audience Chamber).