We now reach the Sala dell’Udienza which was the Chamber of Justice, used for the meetings and hearings of the Signoria. Originally also on this floor there was a large hall, the Great Hall. Its dimensions were similar to those of the underlying Salone dei Duecento. But between 1470 and 1472 the room was divided, by the work of Benedetto da Maiano, by a wall forming the two present rooms: the Sala dell’Udienza and the Sala dei Gigli.
FRESCOES OF THE STORIES OF MARCO FURIO CAMILLO
The room has a wonderful casettone ceiling covered in gold, the work of Giuliano da Maiano from the 15th century. The room was decorated between 1543 and 1548 by Francesco de’ Rossi known as Salviati and Domenico Romano, with frescoes depicting the Stories of Marco Furio Camillo. Among the scenes are the Conquest of Veii, the Punishment of the Master of Falerii, Camillo who defeats the Volsci. But the main scene is the Triumph of Camillo.
The purpose of these frescoes is to enhance the figure of Cosimo compared to Furio Camillo, and united with the latter by the objective of conquering Etruria and by defending Italy from the French. Marco Furio Camillo was a Roman soldier who was several times tribune and dictator of Rome. He in 391 BC was exiled and on his return he had freed Rome from the invasion of the Gauls.
The Audience Hall is connected via a door to the Priori chapel. From the Audience Hall (Sala dell’Udienza) you can also access the Hall of the Lilies (Sala dei Gigli) through a beautiful marble portal, the work of Benedetto and Giuliano da Maiano, and from a precious inlay carved by Francesco di Giovanni called il Francione, from the 15th century.
The visit of the rooms on the second floor of the Monumental Quarters continues. In particular we will now visit the Hall of the Lilies (Sala dei Gigli).