Just behind Colle Alta, we reach the junction at Le Grazie, here we take the provincial road No. 27 in the direction of Casole d’Elsa, after just over a kilometer, turn on the right on a small road bounded by two cypresses indicating Badia a Conèo.
We continues for a couple of km until on the left you come to the splendid church of Badia a Conèo.
Badia a Conèo was one of the oldest Vallombrosian monasteries, part of Colle plebanate of the Diocese of Volterra, the Abbey of Santa Maria Assunta in Conèo joined the vallombrosan congregation between 1073 and 1076, in the sixteenth century it was probably the commendam of Alessandro Farnese (the future Pope Paul III).
It was one of the many abbeys in commendam gives to relatives of the Popes, when in 1592 the Abbey goods were given to the new bishophric cathedral of Colle, and the church of Conèo was declared baptismal.
Of the ancient Abbey, remain today the church of Santa Maria, in Romanesque-Sienese style, consecrated in 1123. The plan of the church is a Latin cross, with a single aisle and ending with a transept and a dome on plumes with outside octagonal lantern.
The facade has an arcade partition in Volterra-style, in the Presbytery are three apses of which only the central one shows the curvature outside. The inside, not open, is divided by a transverse arch resting on half columns with capitals decorated with abstract motifs and human heads.
On the back of the Abbey is a stretch of paved road that connects the Abbey with the medieval houses of Conèo. Not far from the Abbey, in the valley of Conio, on the left, just below the Abbey is an aqueduct dating back to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany period.
- AA. VV. “Toscana” Guide Rosse Touring Club Italiano, 2007
- Tigler, Guido “Toscana romanica” Jaca Book, Milano, 2006
- Poli Vittorio “Valdelsa Romanica” 1985, Nencini